ATARI HARD DISK UTILITIES PACKAGE
Compiled on Dec 7 1998 by N.Bales
- 1 Disclaimer
- 2 AHDI Files
- 3 Quick guide to installing a harddrive
- 4 Notes
- 5 Download software
All the files included in this package are (c)Atari Corp.
This package was made up with all of the latest utilities from Atari that I could find. Because I was unable to find one single archive with all the necessary files, I decided to make this archive.
The docs were also made up by myself, as I was unable to find the official ones.
I am in no way liable for any damage occuring following the use of these programs.
Nick Bales - firstname.lastname@example.org
foldr100.prg 20/11/85 Folder bug patch cache064.prg 21/11/90 Disk cache program ahdi.prg 17/07/93 Hard disk driver 6.061 hinstall.prg 16/06/86 Installs bootable driver hdx.prg ../../93 HD partionner/formatter
Quick guide to installing a harddrive
ST/STF/STE/MegaST ext standard MegaSTE/TT ext standard Falcon n/a n/a
ST/STF/STE/MegaST ext host adapter required MegaSTE/TT ext/int standard Falcon (Atari) ext standard Falcon (C-Lab) int standard
ST/STF/STE/MegaST int internal adapter board MegaSTE/TT n/a n/a Falcon int standard
In most cases, a SCSI drive will require parity to be switched off.
There is no limit on a hard drive's total capacity, however there is a limit on the size of each partition under TOS.
TOS 1.0x 256Mb TOS 2.0x/3.0x 512Mb TOS 4.0x 1Gb
To be sure of the version of TOS you are running, refer to a utility such as SYSINFO.PRG.
Make a AHDI disk.
- First of all, unzip all these files to a blank disk. - Make a new folder called AUTO, and copy AHDI.PRG into it. - Next, copy both FOLDR100.PRG and CACHE064.PRG. - Select 'Install Icon' from the desktop menu, and type 'C' (not 'c') and 'OK' - Select 'Save Desktop' to save your desktop to the floppy. - Label this disk as your AHDI Utility Disk, and make a backup copy of it.
Accessing your drive
-Switch all units off, switch on the drive, and then the ST, with your AHDI disk in the drive. -Double click on the 'C' icon.
Formatting the drive (if necessary)
- THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR DRIVE - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORMAT AN IDE DRIVE. - ONLY FORMAT A DRIVE IF NECESSARY - Run HDX.PRG and select Partition. Select the drive to format and launch the format. - Once formatted, the drive must be partitioned.
Partitionning the drive (if necessary)
- THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR DRIVE - Run HDX.PRG and select Partition. Set each partition letter and size, respecting the limitations in the primer section above. - Follow the onscreen instruction until the reboot. - Select Install Icon on the desktop, and add as many icons as partitions on the drive. - Save the desktop to the harddrive.
Making the drive bootable
-Run HINSTALL.PRG and select INSTALL and follow the instructions.
Upgrading to AHDI6.061 from an earlier version.
- Rename the SHDRIVER.SYS on your boot drive to SHDRIVER.OLD - Copy the AHDI.PRG file over to the boot drive - Rename it to SHDRIVER.SYS
- The drive's icon will not appear on the desktop until you have installed the new icon manually. You must them save the desktop.
- If a 'C' drive is installed, the desktop will automatically be saved there. Otherwise it will be saved on 'A'.
- The SHDRIVER.SYS file that is created by HINSTALL.PRG is no other than a copy of AHDI.PRG. If you delete this file, the drive will no longer autoboot.
- If the drive already has a bootable boot sector, all you may need is to copy the SHDRIVER.SYS file manually.
- AHDI can be downloaded from here
Back to IDE & SCSI Drivers