The Mega ST was launched in 1987 by Atari aimed at the professional market. It had a re-designed case consisting of a separate keyboard and CPU unit. It also included a Blitter chip to speed up graphics, and a battery backed clock.
The Mega ST computers were shipped with TOS 1.02 and featured several new features as follows:
- - BLiTTER chip (for faster graphics).
- - Internal expansion bus.
- - Separate keyboard and CPU.
- - Either two or four megabytes of RAM.
- - Peripheral co-processor slot (for 68881 coprocessor, etc.).
- - Battery powered clock.
It was eventually replaced by the upgraded Mega STE.
- ST User, vol 3, issue 7, p51-52.
- ST Log, issue 18, p68-72.